Tuesday, 12 May 2009

The sun does shine in Scotland

With Cape Wrath behind me I turned east, Tongue was the target today. Only 30 miles but after such an early and cold start it was a challenge. Stopped for egg and beanz at a 1950's cafe - not retro, just not been touched since then. Also charged phone as solar charger is broken (hence no live-logging today).

Smoo caves are on an inlet just outside Durness, rather impressive. As I climbed back to the road my old friend Gareth drove past in his Google Street View car. I'll have to see if I can find myself.

Couldn't resist paddling at Traigh Allt Chailgeag beach, had if all to myself. It was FREEZING!

Loch Eriboll is a 6 mile inlet which has to be cycled twice, on the road almost every vehicle was a camper van or motorbike - much easier to get up the hills. I am sure there are better places for lunch, just can't think of any.

It set me up for the 700ft climb, the last one over 500 ft and a gentle freewheel down and across the causeway into Tongue. Hannah the warden's home made cakes were wonderful. The hostel was also hosting a party of George Watsons College in Edinburgh (Chris Hoy's old school). A better advert for young people would be hard to find, they cook, wash up, enjoy themselves, and ply strangers with wine.

Long day tomorrow and as I have a room to myself I will sleep well.Stats 52.5 miles 5,741 feet climbed, max speed 27.5 mph.Overall to date 1192 miles 94998 feet


  1. Hi Richard!

    The landscape looks lovley in the sunshine - Scotland is just so beautiful. I have been following your progress on the blog. Hope the legs are holding out!

    Thanks so much for supporting CORD on your challenge:-)

    Good luck for the rest of your journey,

  2. Almost there now Richard! You have obviously met some very kind & good folks along the way.
    Hope the bike holds up for the next few days and look forward to seeing you again on Friday 15.
    'Bottie' & I will accompany you for a cycle trip around the lanes over the weekend!

    Speak soon
    Cliff & Pauline

    12 May, 2009 11:39
    Anonymous said...
    dan (age 6) said how do you get back to England with your broken chain? How long did you sleep for in the hut? Were they using grenades or dropping bombs from helicopters or aeroplanes? All the Moores like your pictures, and send lots of luck for the last few days. daniel xxxxxxoooo

    12 May, 2009 19:11
    Anonymous said...
    Despite the RAF trying to bomb you, the mice trying to distract you and make you lose sleep as well as the bike chain trying to sabotage your efforts (guess the spares came in useful!) you have nearly made it. I'm so impressed about your dedication and appliance to your aim I just don't know what to say...except that I'm so proud of my brother!

    Hope the 'sightseeing' on Friday went OK. We look forward to welcoming you back home - as will the girls I'm sure. Enjoy, you have achieved a phenominal amount in a short time - hats off and respect!!