Thursday 30 April 2009

Up the Wye Valley

Wonderful night's sleep and porrage with syrup for brekie. As my emergency MP3 player did not arrive in yesterday's post I decided to hang on for it otherwise I could see it following me north but never catching me. Adele makes wonderful packed lunches.

The towers of the old Severn Bridge had been visible since yesterday, but close up it was huge. I met Steve Rogers who keep it in perfect nick and standing in the middle span I could feel it shake with every car and lorry.


Eventually I found a Welcome To Wales sign near Chepstow and headed off on the Welsh side of the Wye.

Passed Tintern Abbey and onto an old rail line to Symond's Yat,- passing a much smaller but equally bouncy suspension bridge

Steve (a local cyclist) gave me some sound advice about roads round Hereford and I set off passing the old covered market in Ross-on-Wye.

Quick photo stop in Hereford Cathedral, I resisted the temptation to visit the Mappa Mundi (old map, not an Indian restraunt).

As I climbed the last big hill I saw the back of the Malvern Hills, I can see the front of them from home, so I reckon this is as close to home as I get.

Leominster is preparing for its May fayre so the town was full of rides.

At the YHA I was welcomed by Chris who I had met last week at Land's End. As he was doing 30 miles a day I couldn't work out the tortoise had beaten the hare here. He confessed that he'd got a lift to Cheddar - it had taken me 3 days to cycle this!

More cycling tomorrow. . Stats for the day, 67.4 miles,climbed 5,068 feet, cycled for 5:46 hours,max speed 37.4 mph (weeeee...) average speed 11.7 mph - told you it was a good day. Weather perfect, SW good wind, dry and SUNNY. .

No comments:

Post a Comment