Sunday 26 April 2009

The wind has shifted - long climbs, heavy rain - a long day

No fire alarms last night, but I was woken up by someone in the dorm sneezing - somewhat concerned to find it was me who seems to have contracted pig-flu. It will take my mind off my knee. Slightly unimpressed at the effectiveness of the 'drying room' - nothing was dry so I packed the clothes in the bottom of my bulging pannier and was thankful I brought 2 sets with me.



After my Wadebridge pasty the Camel Trail climbed through an idylic wooded valley culminating in a silver fish and a VERY long climb onto Bodmin Moor.





Fortunately it didn't rain until I neared the top and found some ponies, but for the next 3 hours I put on and off my waterproofs numerous times.





Although the Camel Trail was splendid the wet gravel did nothing to up my average speed, by 11:30 I'd pedalled under 20 miles - too slow. At that rate I'd miss the ferry to Mull on day 15, need to do 60 miles by 3:30 - UM!

Eventually rolled into an exceedingly damp Launceston and officially exited Cornwall and entered Devon by crossing the Tamar at Poison Bridge.





The old A30 towards Oakhampton was a relief after those Cornish lanes, wide with relatively gentle gradients. The YHA at Oakhampton is the old railway engine shed and is way above town so I climbed onto the 'Granite Way' and pedaled the last 6 miles on the old track which included two wonderfull viaducts.

Pleased to report that I have my own room tonight, the drying room is hot and the coffee is free - just 2 guests in tonight.

Strangers have been very supportive, at least 3 have donated - the latested being Pasty Shop Mike - thanks.

Now 10pm so I'm off to bed.

66.4 miles, max speed 31.1 mph, height climbed 9,143 feet, avg speed 9.6mph, time moving 6:57.

1 comment:

  1. Keep pushing... well done. Thinking of you in today's rain. See you tomorrow - we have a dryer. Adele, Pete and boys.

    ReplyDelete